Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Can I Dump the Due Date Too? (Part Two)

During the third week of the TELS 9x9x25 Challenge, I composed my blog post around the notion of dumping the due date and allowing students the opportunity for excuse-free, guilt-free extensions on most assignments when they needed them.  By the time I had finished writing, I was completely sold on the idea.  It seemed so innovative and so student-friendly, I could hardly wait to get started...

...and then I asked some students for their thoughts. 

It began innocently enough.  On a whim, I sent an announcement out to the students in my online Human Sexuality class - we've developed a surprisingly strong rapport considering how few of us have met in person - asking for some feedback regarding a more relaxed deadline policy for future classes.  "Would you find it to be advantageous to your experience as a student?" I asked.  "Would you be motivated to stay on top of your schoolwork?  Would it create needless confusion?  How often do you think you might take advantage of a more liberal policy?"  A response to my query was totally optional and, I explained, would earn them only my sincere appreciation and the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Four days later, five of the 23 class members had already sent e-mails to express their thoughts, and all of them contained roughly the same message: don't bother.

"There's no reason other people can't turn their stuff in on time," one student grumbled.  Another agreed: "...[this] is hardly grueling work."  "I haven't had all that much trouble keeping up," the third e-mail stated.  "If a student can't make it through this class, they will never make it through an intensive writing course," opined a fourth.

By this point, I was becoming downright insecure.  Had I made the course too easy?  In addition to each week's discussion board and timed quizzes, there are weekly chapter readings, PowerPoint presentations, and video lectures, as well as broader grading measures such as mid-term essay exams and a final paper.  I have never been accused of being an "easy" instructor in any of the other four courses I've taught for Yavapai.

Upon consideration, though, I did recall that my own undergraduate Human Sexuality course, "dirty 330" (damn you, YC, for giving us the eminently boring course number of 277), was by far the easiest class I took at the University of Idaho.  In fairness, I suspect human sexuality is somewhat unique in this regard because most people can't get enough of the material (or, for that matter, its application).

Those who wrote to offer feedback had other points to make, too.  "I think that sometimes students can be insensitive to the fact that a professor has a life too that doesn't revolve around WORK," one wrote, and others offered a similar sentiment: why create more work for yourself?

When I wrote my original post, though, I had already tackled these considerations.  Nothing within the student feedback I received directly countered my current policy or my proposed policy.  Further, all of those who had taken the time to offer their thoughts fell solidly into the camp of overachievers, having never submitted any late work, while students who were sitting on late and missing work were not-so-mysteriously mum.

There was a missing piece, and when I went back to re-read those student e-mails, I realized what it was: until now, I had not asked students what they want and need.  When I set out to create a more student-friendly policy, I based it on what I thought students needed, not what they were telling me they needed.  Luckily, the students who had contacted me were not shy about describing what they personally would have found helpful or reasonable:

"There are times when I knew I had a very busy week coming," wrote one student.  "Maybe consider opening the following week's assignment that Saturday or Sunday.  That way a student with a ridiculous schedule like mine could get a jump on it.  This is a first world problem and not that serious."

And they also had suggestions about other ways to create a student-friendly late work policy:

"Another professor I had had what was called "late coupons", where you were allowed to have three late assignments in the semester by emailing the professor.  I thought this was very intelligent.  If a student gets lax and uses all of their "late" coupons right up front and then has an emergency, that is their problem for not doing what they should have when they had the opportunity, but gives those who are completing their assignments a safety net without the worry of getting too lax."

"I would say if you do offer an extension make sure you either limit how many times a student uses it or deduct 10% of the points.  That way no one is taking advantage."

"Perhaps it would be a good idea to say this is the due date for full credit and every day after that you lose x amount of points.  That way the people that really want the good grade will never take advantage unless it is an emergency and the people that are either really busy or lazy can decide on how important their grade is."

Isn't it crazy how when we take the time to ask people what they think, they'll tell us?

So it's back to the late policy drawing board for me.  Do I still think mine needs tweaked?  Definitely.  I discovered through the process of asking for feedback that, to at least one student, "the syllabus came across as though you were a little mean and intimidating and I was scared I wouldn't enjoy this class but over the weeks I personally dig you.  I think you are fair and I think that you are open and create a good atmosphere for everyone to learn."  Although I was obviously pleased by her eventual conclusion, I realized this is NOT the way I want to begin my relationship with students, especially since I have reconfigured my mental image of myself-the-teacher as a facilitator. 

Ultimately, it is clear to me that I need to put this incredibly helpful student feedback to use and make some changes.  And perhaps most importantly, the process has underscored for me the importance of just asking and listening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the suggestions you got from students are what they've already experienced in other classes. Deducting 10% each day is a time-honored penalty, as are limited extensions and "get out of jail free" coupons. The feedback I've gotten from my students, AFTER they've had some experience with no penalty for late work, falls into three main camps. First and most common is the "Thank you, thank you for letting me cope with my life without stressing about missing a deadline." Second most common is "This is harder than firm deadlines because I have to be responsible for scheduling myself." And a distant third is "It's your fault I'm behind because you didn't tell me what to do and when."

    ReplyDelete